Friday, March 5, 2010

Easy Rice Flour Crackers


Last night, my 10-year old came down with the stomach flu. While he moped around the house carrying a bucket, I ran out to the store to buy the usual items. This bug must be making the rounds here this week, because I felt lucky to grab the last bottle of ginger ale. Unfortunately, my local grocery store doesn’t carry rice crackers, and I didn’t want to travel out of town to buy some. So, I looked up a recipe and adapted it for my son’s personal tastes (doesn’t like sesame seeds) and the ingredients I happen to have on hand. They turned out nicely enough.

Gluten and Dairy Free Rice Flour Crackers

1 cup white rice flour
½ cup potato starch
1 tsp. xanthan gum
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. basil
2 tsp. garlic powder
4 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. honey
6 Tbs. soymilk
1 tsp. cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the dry ingredients. Mix together the last four (wet) ingredients and then add to the dry ingredients.
Sprinkle a board with white rice flour and roll out the dough thinly. Cut into small squares with either a knife or a pizza cutter. If the crackers still seem too thick, you can roll the individual squares out even more.
Place the squares either on a greased cookie sheet or a sheet covered with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, when they’re browned nicely. Let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment