Wednesday, July 14, 2010


I’ve always loved donuts. It’s one of the things I’ve missed the most since going gluten free. Since there are no gluten free bakeries nearby, my only choice is to make my own.
A few weeks ago, my husband and I talked about getting a deep fryer. Besides talking about making donuts the way my Grandma used to, we fantasized about all the other wonderful things we could make with a deep fryer—GF breaded fish nuggets, breaded vegetables, mushrooms, poppers, etc. Unfortunately, my husband has cholesterol issues, so he finally said no to the deep fryer.
Then I found these donut pans on Amazon. I ordered two and waited patiently for them to come in the mail. Once they came, I had to find a good recipe, these Baked Vanilla Cake Donuts, which I doubled to fill both pans. The recipe calls for buttermilk, but since we’re also dairy free, I originally planned to mix a scant cup of soy milk with a scant teaspoon of vinegar. However, the boys had already drunk all the soy milk, so I mix water with the vinegar. It still worked out all right.
I liked how easy it was to squeeze the batter into the pans from a sealed freezer bag. I have to experiment with the size of the corner that I cut off, because I made it a bit too large, and only got 10 donuts out of it, instead of the expected 12. (They also took a few minutes longer to bake.) Still, after they were done, they came out of the pans very easily. I had donuts with a nice, soft texture and good flavor, even without the milk.
After cooling, I frosted them with my grandmother’s glaze recipe, which has always been gluten and dairy free:


1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbs. cocoa powder
Hot water

Mix the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Pour the hot water in the mixture little by little, stirring until it’s a good frosting consistency. Spread quickly. The frosting will harden into a glaze.

I let the boys each try one. Then I put the rest in the freezer. For the next few weeks, two donuts will come out of the freezer on Saturday night to thaw in the refrigerator. Then, we’ll take the donuts to church with us on Sunday morning, so the boys can enjoy them after the service, instead of sulking because they can’t eat anything on the refreshment table.
I’ll be trying out some more experiments with GF donuts. Perhaps some chocolate cake donuts, pumpkin (with a soy cream cheese frosting), apple cider … This could be a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment